NYHousingSearch.gov is New York State's best resource for finding and listing affordable, accessible housing. The site is free for users and is a collaboration between HCR, the New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities, and the New York State Department of Health.
The housing listing and locator service provides detailed, up-to-date housing information about available units across the state and is accessible online at www.NYHousingSearch.gov or through a toll-free, bilingual call center (877-428-8844) staffed Monday-Friday from 9am-8pm. Renters can conduct customized searches and landlords can advertise properties for free and include pictures, information about amenities, and much more.
NYHousingSearch.gov is useful for renters with a range of needs. In the past year, the site has averaged over 750 searches per day and more than 256,000 total searches.
New features and tools make it even easier to find a new affordable place to live, search up-to-date vacancies, and track and update properties and amenities:
- Renters can have searches "saved" by a call center representative, so properties that match criteria can be emailed as they become available
- Renters can easily calculate what should be spent on rent, based on income, and find properties that fall within that range
- Landlords can see statistics on how often a property has been found in a search and viewed by a potential tenant
- Landlords can have a dedicated call center liaison help with updating inventory, photos, and property details through a direct line/email
- There are currently more than 2,300 available units listed and more are added every day. In addition to new tools, NYHousingSearch.gov still offers the same great features:
With NYHousingSearch.gov, people searching for a home can:
- Access a toll-free number for bilingual call center assistance with property searches; Support is also available by mail, fax and email
- Conduct free and anonymous searches to help locate housing that meet individual needs.
- Use a mapping feature to find housing in specific neighborhoods with desired facilities and amenities
- Conduct a proximity search to locate properties within a selected distance from work, school or family
- Conduct an accessibility search to locate housing with accommodations for persons with disabilities
- Access resources to make moving easier, such as an income calculator, rent affordability calculator and links to local housing-related resources
- Take advantage of a searchable agency resource page that makes it easy to locate and apply for other programs and services
Return to EIV FAQ